Highlights from 5 days in Abisko in the Swedish Lapland
- Reindeer! It’s a Nordic speciality. When I visited the Sámi people (more details below…), they served me their traditional dried + salted reindeer in a flatbread with lingonberry jam
- THE NORTHERN LIGHTS! That’s what you go to Abisko for after all 😉 On one of my nights I booked an aurora photography tour with Lights Over Lapland, which I would highly recommend. They go out of their way to help you with your camera settings to get the best photos of the lights and they take you to the spots that the think you’ll see the best aurora. TIP: book your photo tour for one of the first nights of your trip so that you understand how to set-up your camera to take more aurora photos for the remaining nights of your stay!
- Go for a walk! Abisko National Park is beautiful- take a hike on any of the many, many trails
- Get up close and personal with reindeer and learn about the Sámi people (the indigenous people of the arctic area of Sápmi). I took this tour with Visit Abisko and it was without a doubt the highlight of my time in Lapland
- I stayed in the hostel portion of Abisko.net and found it to be super cozy and had a very social atmosphere